The Property & Liability Resource Bureau (PLRB) will host the 2023 PLRB Claims Conference & Insurance Services Expo March 19-22 in Orlando, Florida. An array of stakeholders will come together to exchange ideas about restoration in business income (BI) losses, builder’s risk, earthquake claims handling, and more. Throughout the conference, Sedgwick experts will be at booth #1020 and lead several educational sessions. The team at EFI Global will be at booth #921.
Period of Restoration in Business Income Losses
Monday, March 20 | 10:30 am – 12:00 pm and Tuesday, March 21 | 1:30 – 3:00 pm
Presenters: Wayne Sowers, CPCU, AIC, senior executive general adjuster, Sedgwick; Katharyn Thompson, managing director, Baker Tilly; Dale Walls, general adjuster, Enumclaw Insurance Group
- Describe the issues that often arise when determining the period of restoration.
- Identify actions to take to avoid delays in the period of restoration.
- Evaluate the coverage provided for the period of restoration and the extended period.
- Develop a plan to handle the challenges that arise during the loss period.
Earthquake Claims Handling: California Accreditation
Monday, March 20 | 1:30 pm – 3:00 pm; Tuesday, March 21 | 1:30 pm – 3:00 pm; and Wednesday, March 22 | 3:30 - 5:00
Presenters: Douglas Dell, VP & Director, Vale National Training Center; Dan Dyce, CPCU, RPA, consultant, Dan Dyce Consulting; Morgan Griffith, PE, senior managing engineer, Exponent
- Recognize what earthquake damage looks like in order to complete a full scope of damages.
- Properly use earthquake Shaking Intensity Maps in the analysis of earthquake damage.
- Find and use inspection checklists that will help make sure a thorough inspection of a structure was completed.
- Decide what earthquake damage you can scope on your own and when to involve a technical consultant.
- Attendees can earn their California Earthquake Claims Handling Accreditation certificate after attending this session.
Navigating the Duty to Co-operate
Monday, March 20 | 3:30 pm - 5:00 pm and Wednesday, March 22 | 10:30 am - 12:00 pm
Presenters: Ashlyn M. Capote, Esq., partner, Goldberg Segalla, LLP; Tamela Hughey, AIC, complex claims advisor, Sedgwick
- Describe the duty to cooperate as a condition precedent to policy coverage.
- Identify policyholder behavior that constitutes a breach of the cooperation clause.
- Examine what constitutes prejudice to the insurer and how the insurer can establish it so as to justify avoiding coverage.
- Explore practical considerations to elicit insured’s cooperation.
Builder’s Risk and Delay
Tuesday, March 21 | 1:30 pm - 3:00 pm and Wednesday, March 22 | 3:30 pm - 5:00 pm Presenters: Eric Guilmette, national general adjuster, Sedgwick; Granger Stuck, executive managing director, J.S. Held LLC
- Contrast property damage and builder’s risk claims including builder's risk coverage issues.
- Develop strategy to work with insured to set expectations and document repair scope of work including project schedules and terms.
- Analyze schedule and project data to determine the Period of Repair vs. Period of Delay.
- Evaluate the claimed loss.
Find us at booth ##1020 and #921 to connect with leaders throughout the conference, but until then...